Friday, October 5, 2012

CFB Weekend Preview #6

#4 LSU at #10 Florida

I get the feeling that everyone's most anticipated game this week will be something more akin to "Big 10" style football: low scores and strong defensive performances. These are two teams who seem to be heading in opposite directions as the season progresses. To that extent, I think playing in The Swamp against a fired up Gators team lead by a surprisingly effective Jeff Driskel all points to a Gators "upset." (Though it hardly seems like an upset at this point as most people have the Gators winning)

LSU - 17, Florida - 24

Read on after the break


#8 West Virginia at #11 Texas

After last week's basketball game featuring the Mountaineers against the Fighting RGIII's it will be interesting to see how Heisman front-runner Geno Smith does playing football against the Longhorns. While no one believes Smith will be able to put the gaudy numbers he did last week (more touchdowns than incompletions!!) my gut tells me this is a special kid and that he'll still be able to do some damage against a strong(er) Texas secondary that allowed 300 passing yards against OSU (the other one, or the other, other one depending on your perspective).

West Virginia - 31, Texas - 28

#5 Georgia at #6 South Carolina

Gurley will have to be a man (kill me) this weekend against a stout SC defense that has only allowed 388 yards on the ground this whole season. I suspect Connor Shaw will have a decent game on the way to a never-before-seen third straight victory over the Bulldogs and the 250th win for the Old Ball Coach.

Georgia -34, South Carolina - 44

My totally biased and completely non-objective look at #21 Nebraska at #12 Ohio State

A lot of folks said after last week's win over rival Michigan State that Urban Meyer had never been that emotional after a game. This coming from the guy who had to take a year long vacation at ESPN because his ticker couldn't cut it at Florida doesn't exactly fill me confidence that Meyer's in it for the long haul, however it does make me feel good that he's so invested in his current job. Braxton Miller has been having a nice year with some saying that a Heisman could be in his future if he keeps it up. I do actually have SOME reason to like Ohio State's chances considering Miller is one of the preeminent spread quarterbacks out there and Nebraska had a heck of a time against their last opponent who uses such a quarterback one Brett Hundley at the employ of UCLA. In that game, he was able to both pass and run rough shod over the Cornhusker D to the tune of 305 through the air and 217 through the ground. Call me Crazy by Carly Rae, but I think Miller will be able to also feast on the supple Cornhusker secondary in a similar fashion in the 'Shoe at night, under the lights... Whatever that means.

Nebraska - 17, Ohio State - 31

8 comments:

  1. Good picks, but I'm going for LSU over Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure what's going on but me want the donuts oppar

    ReplyDelete
  3. t... thanks for commenting. i'm not sure what's going on either :[

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read "special kid," I heard it in Lou Holz's voice.

    Don't worry about Taylor "Big Game" Martinez because not only is his nickname sarcastic, but I just made it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh shit u got a sports blog? ima use this for research when im betting college football lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I'm doing good so far today. In the future I think I'll just pick against the spread instead of trying to guess the actual score lol

      Delete
  6. ur Ohio State prediction was almost the halftime score lol, props on the gators pick

    ReplyDelete