Sunday, October 14, 2012

Week 7 in Review: Welp

Um, so yeah how about that Texas game?


I guess that's what I get for not having any faith in Landry Jones, I'm sure he went 21/37 for 321 yards and 2 TDs just to spite me. OK, you made your point, sorry. ;_; Texas just looked awful, I don't know what else I can say about it. In my preview I said there'd be a combined 60 points or less and Oklahoma by itself scored 63. Everyone is talking about how how the really good teams make the most plays. Well, looking at the stats, OK made 90 plays for an average of 7.5 yards gained per play compared to Texas' 60 plays for 4.8 yards. If I just told you that stat you could probably guess who won. There's a real chance Mack Brown could be on his way out at this point.

You said it.
Alabama went to Mizzou and opened a can... At least I took Bama in this one, but it was a lot more of a blowout than I expected. Remember that stat from earlier about number of plays and average yards gained? Let's take another look: Bama 68 plays, avg of 7.8 yards per play compared to Mizzou 57, 2.3. Yikes. At least Mizzou learned a lesson, it's hard to win games when you're backup QB is throwing less than 50% for 2 Ints and no TDs.

Things got a little interesting when South Carolina came to town. I have to give props to my man hoopra who nearly nailed this one... I said if South Carolina could score 21 points they'd win... Well they scored 21 but unfortunately LSU scored 23. Sorry to bring this up again but I'm just addicted to this stat. SC: 60 plays, avg 3.5 yards to LSU's 78 and 5.2 yards. This was just a battle of shit quarterbacks with neither one having more TDs than ints. It was really disgusting, culminating in Shaw's hail marry pass at the end that bounced into the hands of a waiting LSU player. Why?? If you're trying to just get into field goal range do you throw the ball down the middle and not on a slant so your guy can get out of bounds and stop the clock? We will never know. Plenty of great Angry Visor moments in this game though.

Sike, bitch!
Fucking Brian Kelly eeked one out in pouring rain under the watchful eyes of Touchdown Jesus. I would have gladly ruined my pick if it would mean ND would lose. There's lots of debate over if that play at the end was actually a touchdown, though to me it looked like he was stopped.

I don't know, it's just a writhing man-pile
I'm sure people are going to be debating that one for a while though. I'll spare you the actual numbers but as usual ND outgained Stanford with both the QBs they use getting more TDs (1) than Stanford's Nunes.

Finally, Indiana gave me a scare tonight. I guess they might actually be the real deal. Luckily it was another week of Ohio State putting up very not Ohio State numbers on the score board. Strangely Indiana had almost the exact same number of plays (78) that OSU did (79) with the latter only getting about 1 more yard per play. So they were very evenly matched. I actually stopped watching the game after OSU went up to 52 so imagine my surprise when I looked back at the score and Indiana had gone up to 49 with time remaining. Also did you catch that sweet block the ref gave Miller on that one long touchdown run?

Curb stomping: A legit move
Mr. AKF brought up a good point. OSU can still be voted on in the AP poll but not the BCS poll which starts this week. There is a scenario where if enough teams lose OSU could crack the top 5 (possibly this week with West Virginia and South Carolina losing), maybe even #1 if they run the table. To make things even more interesting Braxton Miller right now has to be one of the top 3 contenders for the Heisman since Geno Smith probably took a big hit with West Virginia getting shellacked (sp) by Texas Tech.

So just think about that: There's a chance albeit a very small one Ohio State could be AP #1 with Miller winning the Heisman while at the same time they can't even be B1G champions. Go on and marinate on that for a bit.

PS Please accept these boobs as a consolation prize for my horrid picks this weekend.





3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I def didn't think Indiana had that in them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, this is definitely not an Ohio State defense. Hire Jim Tressel as the defensive coordinator or something lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, I have a feeling Fickell is quickly using up whatever goodwill he has.

      Delete