Thursday, November 15, 2012

take that nerds: Miggy wins AL MVP


"mah stats ;_;"

In the end it wasn't even close. Miguel Carbonera swept the MVP votes for the American League by a landslide. No, I don't really follow baseball as most people know, but this was an interesting topic for me because of the conflict between the so called "eye-test" and math nerds who follow Sabermetrics.




Like I said I can't really speak too much about it, but for the extremely casual observer like myself I think Caberera definitely should have won. For one, he got the triple-crown which is a once in a life-team feat, I've gone back and forth over whether that should mean anything as far as MVP but it certainly doesn't hurt if you go by the eye-test.

I guess what it came down to is if you put more value in raw numbers or a story. If you go by raw numbers Trout should have won, definitely. But Miggy's story was definitely better (The World Series and the Triple Crown). I think those things are more 'valuable' than any number. 50 years from now people will for sure be talking about Cabrera's feat while only the most dedicated follower will remember Trout's numbers.

* denotes nerd

Anyway I hope to get back to work on shit I know slightly more about.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I thought it was no contest. Cabrera elevated his game in August and September to lead to the Tigers to the playoffs while Trout cooled off quite a bit and his team didn't make the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete