Monday, April 28, 2014

The Incredible Case of Donald Sterling's Douchebaggery

Like all things that transcend the simple on-the-field scandals I knew this was one was going be huge when my friend who doesn't pay attention to sports at all mentioned the Donald Sterling recording to me.

By now most people know what happened: A tape recording obtained by TMZ features the voice of a man who sounds strongly like that of Clippers owner Donald Sterling (let's face it, it is) arguing with his girlfriend mistress about her being photographed with black people and posting it on Instagram. Eventually the man tells her something to the effect of, "You can be with black people all you want but why do you have to publicize it and bring them, being black people, to my games."

It's clear he doesn't have a sparkling personality, nor is he good looking, so why would a "beautiful" woman be with Sterling???? Man I don't get this "love" thing.
Sterling has been no stranger to scandals like this. In 2006, the US Dept. of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination after it was alleged he refused to rent to non-Koreans in the Koreatown neighborhood of Los Angeles and to African Americans in Beverly Hills. Sterling was quoted as saying he didn't want to rent to Hispanics because they, "smoke, drink and just hang around the building" while also saying about Blacks they, "smell and attract vermin." Then, in 2009, Sterling was sued by LA Clippers employee Elgin Baylor for employment discrimination based on age and race. Sterling was reported to have said he wanted to fill the team with poor blacks while hiring a white head coach.

In regards to the first mentioned discrimination case, Sterling settled for millions including the costs for the lawyers. However it was noted by the court that Sterling's lawyers often engaged in "unacceptable and sometimes outrageous conduct." Tactics include drawing out the lengthy legal proceedings to the point where the plaintiff could not continue with legal proceedings.



Much has happened since the news broke last Friday. During game 5 of the NBA tournament, the Clippers took off their jerseys and worse inside practice clothes to protest against their owner. Other big names from the league have also condemned Sterling including Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson who was a part of the initial picture on Instagram that sparked the now infamous phone recording. Even other teams are following in the protest as the Miami Heat did the same thing with their jerseys today.


Much of the talk today has centered around whether or not the Clippers were right to even play that game or what the fans should or should not do. I hate to sound like "that guy," but I'm torn. I've read so many different takes on it that I find myself changing how I feel with every article I read.

From a fan's perspective, I can see why you might not want to support the team. Every ticket, beer, or jersey you buy: That money goes straight to Sterling. By that metric, I couldn't bear myself to support that owner with even a penny of my money. On the other hand, as a fan you root for your team and the players. The players did nothing wrong here so by not giving them your financial support they are the ones who ultimately get hurt. 

If you are a player, should you play or basically the forfeit the game by saying, "We are not going to play for this person." Sure you would be doing a noble thing, but you would also be giving up your dream and everything you've worked for the entire season.

Like I said, it's the easiest way out, but I honestly don't know what I would do. I'm not a season ticket holder for the Clippers, I'm not a player, and not a black person. It'd be too easy for me to sit here and stand on a soap box screaming about social injustice, but it frankly isn't my place to do that. Of course, I feel strongly that Donald Sterling is a douchebag of the highest degree, and of course, I strongly disagree with the sentiment he pukes out but again it's not my place to condemn or condone what other fans or the players themselves decide to do. It's so easy for people on talk-shows or on their blogs to say this or that and act like social justice warriors, but unless you are someone who has felt or experienced something first hand, you just come off incredibly condescending telling people who you have no idea what they have gone through in their own lives what they should or shouldn't do. I have always maintained this sentiment, and I always will.

99% of the time I would be worried that this scandal will be swept under the rug, but I have a strong feeling this is that 1% that can't be. Whenever a sports scandal transcends sports and gets talked about on "Good Morning America" or my friends who don't follow sports at all talk about it, I can be somewhat confident some shit will happen.

(I am aware of the hypocrisy in complaining about other people standing on soop boxes while standing on a soap box to complain about their standing on a soap box.)


No comments:

Post a Comment