Friday, April 25, 2014

Friday Night Happy Hour: The drinks are half-off, so is the post quality

Station Notice: Friday Night Happy Hour is a totally unique and original idea where I post about whatever half-assedly. 

Also dynamic view with blogger apparently doesn't support page breaks so sorry for the giant wall of texts. ;__; I really like the much cleaner look of the blog though with it, so I'm just going to stick with it.

Also by reading this you accept that some percent of this will be written while I'm at least somewhat drunk. Oh what's what? You don't accept that? Too bad you already read this!

Miss Korea, Miss Owns-ea


FanyPack and I finished watching Miss Korea and, man, that was a good show. I hate finishing a great series like this since I always feel so empty afterwards like when you finish a good book. It's funny because I feel the same way about every good drama I've ever seen and think, "Nothing will ever be as good as that one was", until about halfway through the next series. It just makes me wish I could already be ankle deep in the next drama instead of having to grind it out for it to really take off. Note: There's going to be spoilers ahead

Miss Korea is about an elevator girl who get slapped by her boss because she won't stop farting in the elevator and it bothers the customers. Against all odds though she grows up to be Miss Korea. Of course there's a lot more to it than that but that's the gist of it. She gets help from her old friend/love interest who works as this lab guy who creates BB Cream which is this beauty cosmetic that is set to revolutionize the beauty industry.

I was surprised because of course you would expect her actual crowning of Miss Korea to be the climax of the show but that actually happens about 75% of the way through. The last bits of the show, show that just winning Miss Korea is sort of the beginning because there's all this extra shit that goes with it like advertisements and autograph signings. Immediately after winning Miss Korea it's time to start preparing for the Miss Universe pageant which makes Miss Korea look like a county fair pageant.  It's important to point out that the show takes place against the backdrop of the 1997 IMF crisis and that plays a key role in a loyt of the show.



Probably my favorite character in the show was President Ma due to her combination of not taking shit from people while same time being a just and strong-willed person.  She owns this beauty salon and trains several of the rivals for Oh Ji Young however I found myself enjoying her character the most. I think what it is, is the fact that although she is their rival she wants to compete fairly and in fact punishes one of her own girls pretty harshly after she fucks with the main girl. President Yang, another beauty salon owner, is sort of the foil for her since she does the same thing but is willing to do "whatever it takes" to win, unlike Ma.

The secondary plot line is the story of how Vi Vi Cosmetics, the original creator of BB Cream manages to stay afloat during all the economic hardships as well as through the fuckery of Bada Cosmetics who eventually though gangster beatings steals the BB Cream and launches it for themselves. It's interesting how it shows how Oh Ji Young once she wins Miss Korea plays both fields: Ji Young is contractually obligated to work for Bada while at the same time she helps ViVi survive since they've invented this lip gloss that goes hand in hand with the BB Cream. So even though they are rivals Sad Guy (that's what we call the main guy I can't remember his name now) tells Ji Young that they need BB Cream to do well.

In the end everything wraps up pretty nicely. Sad Guy and Oh Ji Young are together, the Lip Gloss is doing well and everyone basically lives happily ever after.

More unfinished shit to throw my money at



This game looks fucking sweet. I've never donated to a Kickstarter but I'm seriously considering it after it popped up on my Steam Greenlight thing. Reminds me of something Peter Molyneux(sp) might make, but hopefully this is, you know, good.

The Most Mildly Interesting thing I've seen this week



At that time I wrote this it had three views and two of them were Fany and I. It also has one thumbs down... I swear it wasn't me. In related news the closest thing Alaska has to a state lottery is the Ice Classic where people bet on when the ice on the Nenana River will break. If you win you get something around $350,000. Keep your fingers crossed for May 1st...

X Number of Days Later and U-You is still the Cutest thing ever



No comments:

Post a Comment