Monday, July 28, 2014

593 words about how little I care about Johnny Manziel

All the camo hats and lewd bumper stickers you could ask for.
If you've never actually seen or been inside a Flying J, I'll try and describe it for you. It's basically like as if every FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: email your grandma has ever sent somehow came to life and opened a gas station. They're not just gas stations though they're also trucking hubs with showers, food, and all that shit. They feature the finest garments and entertainment a roadside gas station can have. Growing up in central Ohio there was one on the way to basically anywhere so naturally I might have stopped at it once or twice. It wasn't until many years later I realized the error in my ways, that I might now be paying Johnny Manziel's paycheck. I could go for one of those showers now. This has nothing to do with anything really except that I didn't learn until shamefully late in my life that the Browns owner Jimmy Haslam owns these things.

This NFL off-season has been a race to see who can not care about Manziel the most as well as who can be the most tired of all the coverage. Literally every time the guy does anything you can bet the next day will feature podcast after podcast of first, everyone saying how sick they are of him followed by two hours of explaining every detail of what he did wrong and what he should have done differently. We are reaching truly meta-levels of tiredness now, as I'm writing about how I'm sick of hearing everyone else write about how they're tired of Johhny Manziel. Cool.

The latest thing that happened that no one cares about and yet everyone cares about was when owner Jimmy Haslam spoke that the Browns expect more out of Manizel. Paraphrasing it he said he(Manziel) admitted he made mistakes and that the Browns are excited to see what he can do on the field. Pardon, my scoff but isn't Haslam that last person who should be criticizing someone for their actions off the field. Is he not the person whose very company has been under investigation for fraud with several guilty please already entered? I mean I get the two aren't really that comparable but it just doesn't sit well with me.

At any rate Manziel has been consistent in his right to party saying, again I'm paraphrasing: I'm 21 if I want to have a night life I can, if I want to have my picture taken with rolled dolla billz I can, and if I want to party with the Biebs, I can. Sidenote: I still think it's hilarious that the partying with Justin Bieber is the worst thing Manziel has done this off-season. Not even the suspected drug abuse got people this riled up. Do whatever the fuck you want but for God-sakes don't hang out with Bieber.

What every single person in the world is waiting for is for football season to start though I can't help but wonder why people think this will take away the focus on Manziel. If anything it's going to heat up. If Hoyer does bad there will be unbelievable pressure to start Manziel. Then, if Manziel does bad everyone will blame Bieber and his late-night shenanigans. The Browns should have known the circus they were inviting to town when they drafted him which makes their perceived surprise about all of this even more unbelievable. Not even the return of Lebron can take all the focus off of Manziel. I think his return covered him up for about two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment