Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Long time, no see.

Well, the blog is called "The Off-Season" so I guess it shouldn't be that surprising that that's when I write the most. Really, I'm just awful about this whole, "consistently writing stuff thing".

Since we last spoke Ohio State came really close to getting the chance to get walloped by FSU in the NCG. USC got a new head coach, so did Washington. And now Mack Brown is on the verge of being involuntarily resigned from Texas.

Also there was one of the greatest ending to a game in all of football.

Cade Foster's consolation prize

After numerous death threats from bored hicks Cade Foster, the kicker, who was instrumental in getting the Tide out of the NCG and possibly Saban to leave received words of encouragement from an unexpected source:

Dubya, not known for his tact.

Dubya is a known artist, I'd sure love to see his rendition of the ending of that game.

Jadeveon Clowney's disappearing act

Last year Clowney was expected to be a 1 or two pick in the draft and expectations could not have been higher going into this year. However at this point in the season it's fair to say things have not gone as planned. Questions have arisen over his off he field work ethic and maturity and everyone is wondering how this will effect his draft stock. (Hint: It won't)

Still I can't help but wonder what happened? No doubt offenses have had him in their sights all season after what he did last year.

Shamelessly stolen from here.
Frankly I'm more annoyed with his work ethic. Have you seen how many plays he sits out for? It was joked about last year that he should just sit out in the entire year for his health but maybe he took that literally?

The inevitable has happened with regards to Maurice Clarett

If you've spent any time with my blog you'll know that Maurice Clarett is one of my favorite figures. Needless to say I'm thrilled for the 30 for 30 on him called "Youngstown Boys". It should be pretty good entertainment after one of the most needless Heisman ceremonies in recent memory. 

As usual with these things he made the rounds on ESPN to talk about it and I caught his interview with SVP and Rusillo. 

I was pretty amazed at how mature and grown up he sounded. He basically just sounded like a man who has been through the worst of it and thankfully come out alive on the other end. 

He talked about the night that everyone remembers with the guns, and the katana, and the Grey Goose. He said he had basically reached his breaking point, he realized he was not going to be in the NFL and that he didn't have his athletic ability to fall back on anymore and he had a pregnant girlfriend etc. etc. and it just sounded like a good idea at the time. Maybe he wanted to be caught?

At any rate I'm glad that he uses his life experience to talk to young players and warn them about what happens when your ego gets too big. 

I've always wished him the best and still do.

Hook 'em Mack Brown

I can't help but think Mack Brown's forced retirement is in some way because of my visit to the Texas campus. I can't explain it but I just know in my gut that that's what is. 

So, sorry Texas fans. I'll avoid going to any more campuses from now on. 

Brown's retirement announcement is expected no later than Friday's big soiree thing where he will be speaking so for now the guessing game rages on over who could possible replace him.

Guesses range from Nick Saban to Urban Meyer to Jon Harbaugh. 

Personally I would say Saban by far is the most likely. (Meyer, really?) I'd put it at like 60-40 leaning towards no. 



1 comment:

  1. I just don't see Urban leaving already. My votes on Saban.

    Also, I knew Dubya was one of those YOLO types.

    ReplyDelete